Advise please. Doctor coming re:DWP

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

Advise please. Doctor coming re:DWP

Postby nicola27 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:10 pm

I had a call today saying that the DWP had recieved my letter to appeal against the decision and they want to send a doctor to my house. Any advise on what to expect or tips on things I should say or avoid?

:?
nicola27
UKFM Member

Re: Advise please. Doctor coming re:DWP

Postby bekwey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:57 pm

The most important thing I think, is not to hide anything - if you sleep on the sofa, leave the duvet there. for example. If you can't climb the stairs then have some sort of loo downstairs. Don't admit to sitting watching TV, because they will declare you fit for a sitiing type job, even though an office chair would kill you, and by the same token, don't hide your pain, if you have it. I am only saying this because I have made mistakes, by being too much of a trier, and I would attempt anything that I wouldn't normally do, if they asked me to! ( too much stiff upper lip). I have learned since then and am not embarassed or ashamed to say how it is anymore!!! You are not exagerating if you do this, just saying it how it is!!! If you ever feel down, tell them exactly how you feel, and if you feel you can't face going out, tell them that too. I forgot things like thermostat, fibro fog ,not being able to stand noise or stand people around me, and lying in bed not wanting to ever get up again to face another day of fibro! 4 years on, I have now told them all this, and have just had an increase in ESA. Don't know whether it was foolish pride or maybe I thought I would get better - but it didn't pay!!! They do need to know everything - write it down if necc! - and if you don't feel able to clean the house for his arrival - don't! That is one thing I had to get past too, people just have to accept it now if it is not pristine, and hey! - they do!!!
goodluck2:
bekwey
UKFM Member

Postby nicola27 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks for that I found it really helpful. I'm pleased that you are finally getting what you deserve :) . I feel like printing all these bitsof info off and showing it to the doctor that comes around, he may then begin to understand how bad the condition is

fingers crossed

:fingerscrossed:
nicola27
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:04 pm

If yu can't do something cos it causes you pain, don't do it even if they bully you. Ask to have someone with you to make sure you have a witness to proceedings. leave your house as is, no special cleaning etc..........Can you pm me your email????? I got something I can email to you.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:49 am

:goodluck2: and :fingerscrossed: with the DWP, hope everything goes well for you. :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby nicola27 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:36 am

thankyou. Cant PM you for some reason but my e-mail is

nickicouch30@hotmail.com

Thankyou
nicola27
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi, I Hope everything goes well for you, i haven't had one of these and you seem to have been given some sound advice.. I think having someone there with you is a good idea. Perhaps asking the doc to clarify what e/she is asking off you with every question - as if you were hard off hearing... is something to consider as it will give you time to think before you act..
:goodluck2:

m XX
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi there, hope you are ok.

I imagine you are not looking forward to it at all.

I know that I have read that when DWP doctors visit other people, they put their tablets, equipment and other vital stuff near them - this will show the doctor that you struggle with walking so you need to be near things as possible.

I know it sounds daft bu the dwp doc will look at everyone. For example, I know that some people have said that dwp docs will look at somebodies walking stick to see if the ruber part of the stick looks worn...stupid I know, but they do look at everything.....

Luckily, I have never had one yet...but I would not enjoy the experience, as we all know that fibro and related conditions are hidden disabilities, so it can be hard for anyone to know who much someone is suffering.

Hope it all goes well for you anywhere. Contact citizens advice bureu or your local welfare benefit centre for more information....If you can, get an advocate when the doctor comes, so if you feel you cannot cope then you can have someone supporting you...always help for you to have someone there, then it looks better on your part.

Good luck. :goodluck2:
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby nicola27 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks for your eplies. Your all lovely supportive people. I have my mum at the ready for the appointment as the mister is at work. I'm actually not dreading it at all and am looking forward to actually seeing someone to try and explain the severity of the condition. HAving been through the form filling stage already (and obviously turned down) you cant get across the complexity of the condition as you can only answer, the questions asked. How far do you walk etc, when we all no its not as simple as that. If I could manage the walk it may mean that the rest of the day/following day/an hour/week could be spent paying the price. I feel ready to give whats what with both barrels.

If I dont say what needs saying I know my mum will pipe up and say what needs to be said.
nicola27
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Sun May 01, 2011 9:36 am

Hi Nicola.. Can i ask if you can let us know what happened after the doc comes.

I'm glad you started this thread as it gives others the chance to see the process in action and to pass on tips.

I wonder if we can have a dedicated thread to this sort of thing. Serving as help for others and as a record of the stuff that goes on in these interviews. I think people should keep readily available records of what goes on.. From what i understand these interviews are tantamount to bullying and as with all bullying, it needs to weeded out and exposed wherever it happens.

M X
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sun May 01, 2011 10:16 am

I second what Mella has said... the more people with disabilities share their experiences the stronger we become :)
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sun May 01, 2011 10:29 am

This board is dedicated to anything to do with DWP, working and benefits, if you mean you would like this particular thread to become a sticky and always show at the top of the board then I can do that??????????
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys

Postby nicola27 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:37 am

I'd be happy to let you all know how it goes. Hope fully it may help someone else. keeping my fingers and toes crossed

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
nicola27
UKFM Member

Postby Moo Moo » Fri May 13, 2011 2:27 am

Hi all x denys I think it's a great idea to add as a sticky so people can see what a home visit is like x

Well I had my second one today, last one was a year and a half ago.
When the Dr arrived I was asleep on my recliner in the living room so OH tried to wake me before opening the door but couldn't and he said when they both walked in the room she looked shocked as I did look a bit dead sound asleep with my mouth wide open!! Lol. Anyway as mu OH had asked her for I'd which she didn't have on her she said she would go to her car to get it while I woke up and went to the toilet. She didn't have any formal I'd so she showed him her Driving license (very professional considering I had to show her 3 forms of I'd when in my own home!!!)

She was very nice but rather dotty - same as the man who came last time - you know the sort of occasional locum Dr's you see at surgery and hope they don't stay permanently - just a bit too odd lol x

The questions she asked where specific to my conditions:

Fiibro: where do you feel the pain? Everywhere, though it varies on different days
How long have you had it? A few year I think but dx in Feb and gave her copy of rhumey report
What treatment are you on? OH handed her a pile of boxes and she wrote them all down
I've seen you walk, so what about your arms can you lift them? Left one yes but aches right one not very well as shoulder is bad.
Can you hold you hands out, turn them palms up, make a fist? Yes and I did.

Anxiety/Depression:
How long have you suffered? OH handed her a letter with all background dates from GP.
What treatment are you on? Another pile of boxes handed over which she wrote down.
Do you have any other treatment? Yes pyschotherapy - OH handed another letter to support this.

Chronic Diarrhea: When did it start? Day I had my Gall bladder removed
What treatment do you take? Codeine but it doesn't always work
What do you mean? I can mess myself as have no warning & can't get to a loo quick enough because of mobility & during the night.
How often does this happen? About twice a week on average.

We gave her all the letters to take with her from my blue badge acceptance even though not on HRM but due to medical mobility assessment by council, Dr's, Rhumey, Mental Health Therapist, Fibro Physiotherapist, Ocupational therapist and list of items to be provided.

I'm now not sure if I should have given her all those letters as may have played all cards in one go but will let you know how it goes.

She wished us luck and wished me well and went - took about 30 mins x will just have to wait now and she if she was sincere or not or if I get a big fat Zero! I did not exaggerate, tell any lies just the truth warts and all - I would recommend anyone who can get a home visit do so cause at least you are in the comfort of your own home and on your grounds so it is less intimidating than a visit to your own gp xx

Good Luck and hope this help xx
Moo Moo
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri May 13, 2011 8:44 am

Good luck :D

Let's hope she gives you a decent report :fingerscrossed:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits