Is Fibromyalgia a disability?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

Is Fibromyalgia a disability?

Postby Chel_82 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi guys I'm newly diagnosed with Fibro and just wondered is it classes as a disability? My work are asking and if it is I am allowed to apply for flexible working, as my symptoms are worse through the day I can apply to work evening.

Thanks Chel x
Chel_82
UKFM Member

Re: Is Fibromyalgia a disability?

Postby anangel0610 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Under the Equality Act 2010, FM is classed as a disability.

You can find it here: http://odi.dwp.gov.uk/docs/wor/new/ea-guide.pdf

Sending gentle hugs

xx
anangel0610
UKFM Member

Postby 2steps » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Not only did Occy Health tell my employer this, he threatened them as well and quoted a famous disability case.

2steps
2steps
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi
Yes it is classed as a disability. :(
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:12 pm

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/uplo ... bility.pdf

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... DG_4001068

That PDF lists Fibro as an example of a condition which MAY be disabling. The only conditions considered to be automatically a disability are Cancer, Multiple Sclerosis and HIV/AIDS.

Other conditions can be considered disabling:

In the Act, a person has a disability if:
•they have a physical or mental impairment
•the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to perform normal day-to-day activities

So for many people Fibro will fit that description if it means they struggle to shower/bathe, cook, walk, sit for long periods, use a computer for long periods, difficulty concentrating etc.

I doubt your employer will request specific detail, but just be aware of how you can demonstrate Fibro meets the criteria just in case they do ask. They probably won't ask though. I hope you can get evening shifts if that helps you :fingerscrossed:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby sjc » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi there. Yes, fm is a disability. What severity of your disability depends on how mild or severe your condition is? But most medical conditions, whether it is mental, learning, neurological, physical difficulty, is now classed as a disability. Hope you ok. Xxxx
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby Chel_82 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks everyone I have been referred back to Occy health too so hopefully they will advise my work on it being a disability, finally get to see my Dr tomorrow so will have a chat with her too.

I'm so glad this forum is here its such a big help xxx
Chel_82
UKFM Member

Postby ray » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi chel-82

Sounds as though you have good employers, I hope all goes well for you and who ever you are dealing with within the company treats you well and is compassionate.

My last employer was very un-sympathetic and prefered us to take holidays when we were off sick, issued warnings for to much time off sick. The word illness was a big no go but ironically they didn't have any problems with pregnacy leave.

As soon as I mentioned, very casually I had Fibromyalgia, I found myself made redundant.
ray
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia