what's going on

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

what's going on

Postby pammc » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:03 pm

how much worse can I get.......I don't even want to try to think about that at the moment. Like most people on this site I do not get a single day without pain and discomfort, between the fibro and the osteo it is a constant battle, throw in the usual depression that we all seem to be cursed with and well enough said, but the last few days things have become increasingly sinister, 1 crutch is no longer enough to get about inside the house never mind outside, have even joked to my hubby that we may have to have a stair lift put in, the pain in my back, knees, hip when I move, let alone waqlk is unbearable,my arms and hands is so bad I really don't know where to put them, the bin would be good but I don't seem to have the ability to cut them off, a knife and fork are problamatic at the moment.
After many months on Gabapentin and no benefit in pain control I now only take one at bedtime so that I may get a couple of hours sleep before the pain becomes so unbearable that I have to get up. If I take anymore ibruprofen I am going to have an ulcer I think, the other painkillers I have just send me into a trance so I won't take them as my daughter is insulin dependent and I need to be on the ball incase she is unwell.
I am now currentl unable to bathe myself, do my hair, even clean my teeth some mornings, and the loo is just plain embarrassing......
Is this a normal thing oyhers have experienced, it is not a flare I am fairly sure as there are none of the usual things I get with one, really concerned that if it carries on like this I will need a wheelchair......have booked appointment with my GP but it's not till next Tuesday.
Any ideas of reasons or possible solutions would be appreciated........... :-?
pammc
UKFM Newbie

Re: what's going on

Postby denys » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:08 pm

It does sound like a flare and may have crept up on you, can you get an emergency appointment with your GP??? try hot water bottles and go onto the ibuprofen gels for your arms I found you get a longer effect than from the tablets, if you have reduced your meds the extra pain may be an effect from the reduction in your system :dunno:

But I do think you need to get all of this checked out :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:33 pm

I was thinking the same as Denys, about one creeping up and gently making its presence felt :-? :-? Plus it could be that the gabapentin was having more of an effect than you thought, and with now being on the reduced dosage, it's letting you know just how much it was actually doing :shock: :shock: :shock:

Do you have anything like those wheaty bags that you heat up in the mikey to put on the worst places?? With them being smaller than a hotty botty, they can be used in those awkward areas that a hotty botty can't easily reach :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: TENs machines can help, as can those heatpads that plug in.

With you reducing the gabas to the level you're now at, are you aiming to come off them, or are you going to be moving on to something else?? Just wondering as some FMer's find that if the gabas aren't right for them, Pregabalin (Lyrica) can make a difference. Might it be worth seeing if this could be a suitable alternative for you to try???
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy

Postby pammc » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:44 pm

thanks guys, was on 900mg of gabapentin but it was making my blood pressure dangerously low and I could not function so dr said cut back, wasn't doing anything for the pain but 1 at night does the trick ( especially) with a glass of red, lol.
Can't get to see dr any earlier as he only works a few days a week and didn't want to see another as it means trying to explain everything again, my gp is fantastic and has treated me for many years now so can't be doing with the stress of trying to make another understand.
Am going to ask him if I can try another drug, if any available for the fibro and something other than ibruprofen for the osteo, maybe something more specific to osteo.
Was not convinced it was a flare as normally I feel like I am getting a cold when they strike and it is like hitting a wall at high speed, one minute not too bad and the next can't stand......will bear that suggestion in min, thank you.
haven't go wheat bags, have considered them but tend to use the heat patch things, may try them as they are reuseable so will prob work out cheaper in the long run, for now I will just continue to rest lots and potter a little.
thank you :-)
pammc
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:32 pm

Take care of yourself Pam :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: This linky might be of interest for when you have your appt http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx It's info from NHS Choices about the different meds that can be used to try and manage FM. Gabapentin is mentioned along with Pregabalin as they are in the same classification of med that Gabapentin is in.

There are other anti~inflams as well as ibuprofen, incl diclofenic and naproxen, so asking your GP about a suitable alternative is a good thing to do.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy

Postby Jo43 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:42 pm

Gabapentin is really hard to withdraw from and has terrible side effects as do most of the horrible drugs we have to take but drs don't really explain, just say cut back (like we know what we're doing although on the instructions it will say to speak to your dr for advice on withdrawing), so we cut back and end up worse off. You feel like you're going mad!!! :crazy:
Jo43
UKFM Member

Postby pammc » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:51 pm

thanks guys, nice to know you are out there :flowers:
pammc
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:53 pm

Hope things settle down soon Pam resting and pottering seems the best plan for now :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys

Postby tonydin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:36 pm

ask yor doc if you can try butrase patches which are pescribed for ostio and fibro as a slow relese opiod pain killer
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:23 am

Hi Pammc I would realy try and discuss you meds with the GP.

Personally I have found the Butrans patch that tonydin has been previously mentioned and Lyrica useful for getting on top of the pain. There are still break though times but over all life is more bearable. they do not get rid of the other symptoms indeed I think they have added to my fatigue but being relatively pain free to me is a marvelous feeling and worth the side effects these drugs can bring.

Good luck and hope you find someting to help.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia