How long does the new PIP claim take?

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

How long does the new PIP claim take?

Postby cocobella » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi all,

I have not posted or been on for a while as I had a major flare 7 weeks ago. I am now at the stage where my statuatory sick pay at work is about to end, have applied for ESA to cover my sick pay - however I do not have a clue how long it will take?

I applied for PIP (the new DLA) 14 weeks ago, had my ATOS assessment and haven't heard if I am successful or not? How long does it actually take? has anyone been successful? Also, does it get back dated? My financial situation sucks right now :-(.

My ATOS assessment went really well and the woman was lovely, very empathetic and understood it all and apparently her mother has fibromyalgia, therefore she had a good insight into the condition. My mum came along with me and it took about 45 minutes. She did not want to do a physical exam as I had recently had surgery and my wound was healing and also I was in my 'flare' mode. Her words were "I do not want to touch you so soon after surgery as I can imagine you are in a lot of pain, and you look like you are in pain". She also heard my whole body 'Crack' as soon as I stood up to leave. After the assessment I felt a sense of relief as it was not near as bad as some other assessments/assessors I have heard of.

On a negative note, I find the waiting intensely frustrating. :-(

Hope all are well

Coco x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Re: How long does the new PIP claim take?

Postby cocobella » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Sorry moderators, I have posted in the wrong section.
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby animeemo3 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:26 pm

well i sent off my form sometime in june or july i think, and i have my home assessment this friday. i rang them to ask what was going on and they said the wait would be quite long as they dont have many centres and there are many people to be processed. good luck to you!
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby Johafa » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:47 pm

I requested my form originally in April and in June, I still hadn't received it. I kept calling to find out what was happening and they were saying that they were missing some information but they wouldn't tell me what it was. Finally in June, I placed a formal complaint with my MP. They assigned me a personnal agent who helped me complete the form over the phone and she sent it to me to sign and include my documents. I returned it to them to be told that they were still missing some information. Anyway, I am still waiting for my ATOS assessment. It'll be a home one. They keep saying it's a long delay. And to answer your question about being back dated, yes it is back dated to when they sent you the form. So if all goes well for you, it'll be a nice amount. So, don't hold your breath hoping to get a quick response, it takes ages.

Good luck
Johafa
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:03 pm

I spoke with my CAB casworker yesterday and she says that all the claims shes delt with have not come through yet!! No one seems to have a result yet.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa x
*Lisa*

Postby Michelleg123 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:34 pm

I've got my 3rd appeal on 4th December - 22 weeks I will have been waiting since the ASOS man came to my house and basically said I was overweight and nothing wrong with me - I've been living on £8 a week !!! Absolutely disgusted cos if I was an illegal immigrant I would be getting everything going !!! ASOS are rubbish and Dr Avasti who came to my house didn't even ask me about my FMS MPS Arthritis Depression or Disc Degeneration !!! YES I am slightly overweight but only because of the medication and lack of physical exercise - The system Stinks !!! I hope you have better luck with your PIP than me x
Michelleg123
UKFM Member

Postby Princesslaulau » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:49 pm

I waited two months and after an hour and a half assessment I was told I was unsuccessful as I wasn't bad enough!!! Even though they told me they understand it must be hard to work and continue with everyday life and housework and that they decided I wasn't capable of cooking meals unaided but still I wasn't bad enough to warrant any help from them. So good luck but I think they don't really feel that the sypmtoms of the condition are bad enough.
Princesslaulau
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Good to hear from you Coco :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

I've jiffled you over into here with you asking about PIP. From what I can gather, there is a heck of a backlog of claims all the way thru the system. Whilst DWP claim that it is due to the number of applications they have received, in reality it's due to systems not being set up properly. Atos claimed they would have several hundred assessors trained and "in the field" by now, but that have struggled to come up with even a tenth of their original figures. And because there are 2 bodies doing the assessments, Atos and Capita, each with their own system which aren't compatible with each other, additional work is being created so that they are all in the same form/style and can be used with what DWP is running system~wise.

This all adds up to each claim seeming to take a number of months to work it's way thru to the decision making point, instead of the number of weeks they said each one would be completed in :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy

Postby MarLyn2012 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:02 am

We had to apply for several benefits as both myself and my husband are now unable to work. My husband is also my full time carer. I think they are now only backdating 30 days. That was what I was told, but we started the DLA claim for my husband and he was turned down at first so we appealed and after 9 months finally went to a hearing and he was successful. Most of the professionals we have spoken to have said be persistent and appeal as that way they know you are not just trying your luck but in serious need. Good luck..
MarLyn2012
UKFM Newbie

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:13 am

I've herd that they turn down the first attempt too but I've also met people who get it first attempt for fibro, i made the first call in July between then and now I've not had a decision yet but finally hady ATOS appointment last Wednesday, the lady I saw was lovely and supportive but alas it's not her who makes the decision, shame really as she said she would award all with diagnosed fibro. Good luck and hang in there x

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby wendy10 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:57 am

ive been waiting since may the last two times they hadnt even sent my information off.. keep saying we will do this right away for you phoning back later to see if its 3rd time lucky but god knows when i will be seen :(
wendy10
UKFM Member

Postby cocobella » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi All,

Sorry for late response, just not had the time to sit, read and respond just now as I am in the middle of a horrid flare after this surgery.

It is pretty disheartening reading the responses as we all seem to be in the same boat. It is 6 months now since I applied for PIP. I rang them last week and told them how disgusted I was that there has been no correspondence. I received an apology over the phone and was told about the back log as some of you have mentioned. She also said that they were also being audited. What the hell?? It just sounds like the whole thing is a shambles. I imagine big massive stacks of our forms sitting in some big room that are never being touched. :-(.

I attended a pain management course yesterday and the majority of the people there stated that the DWP and ATOS are actually a cause of a lot of their stress, and stress in turn causes pain which makes our fibro worse! Since getting ill I have been rudely awoken to all this nonsense with ATOS and DWP. It is soul destroying and you feel as though you are literally begging for pennies!! Which we are, as our illness has robbed us of the ability of working fulltime and earning a decent living :(. Anyway moan over..... hope you're all well.

Coco x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby Wicked_witch » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi there just wonder what the out come of this was as a friend if mine put in for a claim in October 2013 and had an assessment in jan this year and still has not heard bk a to weather they were successful or not...

Kind regards
Witch....
Wicked_witch
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:47 pm

I put in a claim for my daughter sept 2013 and got told her forms are with ATOS a few weeks back to see if she needs a medical THEN it shall be passed onto the decision makers :crazy:

So what happens is, is the forms we send in go to DWP they then check forms over and decide whether or not it has to go to atos, if it does then its atos/possible medical then decision makers OR dwp then decision makers :crazy: so the forms go round and round taking so much time.

I would have thought you'll hear soon but theres a huge backlog :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa x
*Lisa*

Postby salimrashid » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:04 am

Can anybody tell me how long it takes after the pip medical. To hear from them.
salimrashid
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits