Nerve endings

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

Nerve endings

Postby jano » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:04 pm

How many of us suffer from pain from our nerve endings.. I am always looking out for more info on nerve endings as I a sure alot of our pain comes from these endings as well as the muscles... if it is all muscle based how come it can hurt just having water from a shower on the skin?

Going on from a subject on the other board about depression and fms. I have never suffered from depression and only started with a mild dose of it when I had fms diagonised and I thought my life had ended... if you knew me before getting pains/fatigue/fms you would know in my case depression did not cause my fms pain.

My gp said that he used to think all folks suffering from fms was because they were depressed and now he has me on his books I have opened a new outlet for him as after being my gp for 20 years and he knows me well he knows that depression didnt cause my fms... and he finally believes in FMS as a real illness, and he does not "write folks off as easliy as being depressed...

Jano
jano
UKFM Member

nerver endings

Postby HazelB » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:41 pm

I often get feelings as if my whole body is on fire with tingling & pain, especially in my feet and hands. I think i've read somewhere (no idea where- online) that nerve endings are also affected, cause I remember thinking that might explain the feelings I get.

sorry for short reply - its about all my brain can manage.

Hazel
HazelB
UKFM Member

Nerve Endings.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:04 am

:wink: Good morning Jan, and also hi to Hazel and all you newbies on here too.
Like Jan i used to post on here a while ago but pop in from time to time as this was the first board i found that helped me come to terms with this illness and for that i shall be eternally grateful.

About nerve endings Jan.
You sound like me, i cannot bare to be touched anywhere as Fm affects most of my body now especially my upper body. I always suffer exteme nerve pain around my ribs, upper back shoulder and neck which sometimes drived me to distraction. This morning my shoulders are puffy and so sore to touch so i am sat with 2 small wheat bags on them for a while to ease it a bit.

I have copied this down but am sure alot of you know this anyway.

All of us with Fms have 3 times the normal amount of Substance P in our spinal fluid. This substance tells the body how much pain it feels.
That is why we feel an abnormal amount of pain from the slightest touch.
Yes even a bedsheet can cause horendous nerve pains as it brushes past.
Fibro is also associated with Psycological stress and brain chemical disturbances affecting our sensory nerve endings.
Psycological stress maybe caused when the subconcious mind is overwhelmed by repressed emotions, such as anger, anxiety, fear, guilt etc.
Chronic pain may also be induced by involuntary muscle tightness, poor diet and hormone inbalance.

My Gp told me to stop using any caffiene based products, alcohol, saturated fats, dairy products and sugar. also white bread.
Instead eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, grains and fish and drink lots of water to flush out all the toxins.
I keep trying this but sorry folks like my food to much.

About Depression Jan.
I too was treated for years with depression before diagnosis. No wonder is there when suffering for years with an illness you know you have and being told constantly there is nothing wrong with you and its all in the mind.
I did become very depressed over 3 years ago when a viral infection triggered Fm on a big scale. I did'nt want to be here anymore and felt suicidal to the point of a breakdown later that year.
I know take Prozac to lift my mood if only for a few hours in the day as it works for me.
Sorry just written an essay.
Now hands hanging off.
Lastly before i go i have a friend Sue, who attends hydrotherapy with me and the hospital have said she is one of the worst cases of Fibro they have seen.
Her whole body is locked in spasm and suffers so much pain they have to have her in the pool early before us all as anything passing will trigger nerve pains for her.
She is one hec of a brave lady and will not give in to this and like me promotes this illness too.
Better go and do something.
Lovely chatting with you all .
Will pop back later on.
Hope you all have a good day today.
Love Juliex

Postby twigs » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:00 am

Hi Jano & all
I agree totally about the nerve pain. There are days when, as you say, it's unbearable to touch your own body, to dry yourself for example. I get a lot of 'buzzing', in my legs in particular, which I believe is a nerve thing and I also get the stinging in my feet & have to make a tunnel with the duvet for my lower legs when I'm in bed.

I may have mentioned this before (memory!) but I also get a feeling that my arms are really huge - I call it FAF!! (fat arms feeling) And when I'm in the bath/shower it feels as though I'm wearing sleeves. How bizarre is that & surely can only be caused by 'confused' nerve endings.
Do any of you have these sensations?

Apologies again if I ever repeat myself in any of my posts, there are days when I can hardly remember my family's names!!

Take care,
twigs :)
twigs
UKFM Member

Nerve endings.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:26 pm

Hia Twigs, pleased to meet you too.
Yes i can be laid in bed at night and feel like my arms and hands are very swollen and tingly. It's a very weird sensation.

I also get very severe spasms in my back at night also. My whole back can jerk violently off the bed and leave me in agony. I can actually feel this happening as i get a crawling sensation first and then bang, it feels like i have hit a nerve.
Anyone else get this too.
Oh twigs don't worry about forgetting where you last posted.
Some days i forget who i am.
What a lot we all are.
Take care.
love Juliexxx :shock:

Postby jano » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:53 pm

Hi Julie and Twigs... I am glad I am not on my own with the back pain around the ribs?... Oh my god it is so painful there every day especially just under the ribs on the back.. where they end.. it feels like i imagine it would if someone was touching raw muscle.. sitting on a hard back chair is oh my god and if you catch it when you sit down on a hard chair.. arghhhh...

The "experts" say we do not swell or have inflamation, I wish they would examine us when we KNOW it is swollen.. anyone who massages my neck,back ( I welcome anyone who will do it) can tell straight away where I am hurting.. It hurts like hell to have my back, neck and :oops: bum massaged cos it feels so raw, but somehow it puts oxegen back in the muscles and they seem to go back to normal.. before massage it feels like the muscles are all broken up.. does this make sense? I sleep much easier once i have suffered a massage.. god knows what the neighbours must think, sounds like I am being murdered and it hurts like hell but I still find it relives me once I go to sleep..

Talking of sleep...lol.. that was where I was on my way til I decided to close (?) the pc down..lol.. how did i end up on here...lol...

Night night
Jano
jano
UKFM Member

getting on my nerv endings

Postby bouncy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:50 am

Hi Jano,
Just had to reply to your comment about massage.
I too feel better after a massage but getting the hubby to keep going when I'm chewing the pillow and tears are flowing isn't easy. It has been so bad that at one time I spent an hour having to explain my condition to a neighbour because he thought I was been beaten. It didn't help that I bruise so easily now. Still not sure if he's convinced, shall have to give him some info on fm to read.
I get a lot of pains at the top of my ribs and they radiate under my arms.
Went to get measured for a bra the other day and nearly thumped sales assistant when she put tape measure round me. Bought lots of bras so won't have to go through that again for a while.
Sometimes I feel like I am laid on something the size of a tennis ball when in fact there is nothing there. Hubby calls it my "princes and the pea" syndrome. He usually manages to work it out for me but the bruises the next day are pretty ugly. Does anyone else bruise like that?
Bye for now.
Bouncy
bouncy
UKFM Member

back spasms

Postby HazelB » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:03 pm

I also get terrible spasms in my back, which cause me to jump off the bed - arms & legs flailing. very painful and as you say feels as if something is pressing on a nerve. I also get very restless legs - but these spasms aren't quite so painful.

I also find that I get swelling & tingling sensations mainly in my hands & feet - but sometimes elsewhere. Because of being constantly told that there is no inflammation - I decided about 6 weeks ago that I wanted to come off the anti-inflammatories i've been on for years (well why be taking tablets if there is *nothing* there to treat. Since then i've found that my pain levels have increased significantly. Hubby has said to ask the doctor to go back on the anti-inflammatories - but as they mess up my stomach i'm going to try and persevere a bit; and try to find some natural remedies to try.

I love to have a massage; but like others find that even the gentlest of touch can be painful. My mum's an aromatherapist - and I know myself that a full-body massage would probably do me the world of good - but the thought of having an hour-long massage is unbearable at the moment. Altho I do massage small areas such as my back or hands/feet to allow the oils to be absorbed, but not quite the same.

Hazel
HazelB
UKFM Member

Anti-inflammatories

Postby bouncy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:58 pm

HazelB,
I am also on anti-inflammatory medication. I know they say there is no inflammation but if I don't use the meds I can't get up in the morning.
If you are worried about your stomach there are always suppositories. These bypass your stomach and go straight into the bloodstream. I am prescribed Indomethacin suppositories which I use once each night. The difference in a morning is amazing. I can get up in half the time it takes without them. I know different things work for different people but it's something that might be worth suggesting to your doc. They also relieve a lot of the pain over night so I can sleep better.
bouncy
UKFM Member

anti-inflammatories

Postby HazelB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:31 pm

thanks bouncy,

I actually have an appointment to see my gp this Friday because i'm having a lot of bowel problems = which i've always put down to the side-effects of my medication and it was only on coming to this site realised it could be related to my IBS.

I am still in two minds whether to ask to go back on the anti-inflammatories or not ... but I have noticed since coming off them I am taking more pain relief during the day so they must have been doing something.

Hazel
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:15 pm

Hi Hazel,
I too have IBS which is why doc prescribed suppositories.
Touch wood haven't had any troble with IBS for months and months.
Hope you work something out.
Bouncy

Thank you

Postby jano » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:35 pm

Hi Guys thanks for replying, I am sorry I have not replied sooner.. my life seems to be a roundabout at the moment and there doesnt seem enough time for me to go to work, have time with my family and suffer from fms.. the last few weeks have been mad, painful and full of fatigue.

I actually went to book for a proffessional massage and when I mentioned I had fms and some parts would be too painful for deep massage they refused to do it without a dr's note.. so I am having my feet pedicured instead...lol... not much difference is there.

I know for a fact we have inflamation, but not like the " Dr's"think we do, I think it is our nerve endings that get inflammed and that is why our skin feels sore to touch some days...

Jano
jano
UKFM Member

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:28 pm

hi...
tye nerve ending thing is so horrid isnt it feels like its a live wire being touched...
i also have ibs,and am also suffering big style at the mo with my back....
so hard sometimes dont know if its fibro or the lupus :twisted:
Chris
UKFM Member

nerve endings

Postby kathy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:02 pm

hi everyone
i have had this feeling about the nerve endings since day one,i have problems walking now what with the pain and these horrible feelings and still i have not had a diagnosis,a month ago went for an mir scan still waiting for the results of that to come through,then i hope my gp will send me to a ( cant remember his name ) the one who does the trigger points he deals with muscles and things,oh god this bloody fibro fog,i get so annoyed with myself sometimes i even forget what cretain things in my house are called,the cooker the fridge the telly,now on top of everything i now have the flu and between the aches and paind of the flu and fibro need i say more,sometimes in the mornings my knees will lock and my hubby has to gently massage them straight,i can go for a few weeks without my lower back killing me then wham,the nerve endings i could cope with in my legs and body but now i have them on my scalp and face around the eyes and just inside my nostrels yuck! when it happened on my scalp i asked hubby to have a look see if i had aquired any unwanted visitors.it got to the point i was getting a little bit manic about this,but realised it was the same feeling i was having all over my body.all i can say is thank god for this site i can have a rant and moan and read that im not on my own,im not going gaga,im not suffering from altzimers,and this is not in my head.
love to you all
kathy xxx
kathy
UKFM Member

Postby Julia. » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:08 am

Hi everyone, just popped back on.
Hi Kathy, Jan, and everyone, brain fogg now decended.

I went to my hydrotherapy session last Thursday and my shoulder's were so swollen and painful with nerve pain that i asked the Phisio to float me.
She very gently massaged my shoulder's but i had to ask her to stop as it was starting to spread up into my face, head, ears.
Next day however i felt alot better and she cured the migraine i had starting as well.
Before i was diagnosed i too thought i had a something very seriously wrong with me as i thought i can't possibly have all this pain everywhere for now reason.
My nerve pains are worst at the top half. My legs back and feet are worst for the aching and fatigue.
I do however get those shooting nerve pains in my sacro-iliac joint and that sets of nerve pains some days down my hips and legs.
Right ranted on a bit.
Take care.
Julie.
Julia.

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia