hip pain

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

hip pain

Postby spindell40 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:00 pm

hi all

Does anyone get intense deep hip pain, the only way i can discribe it is this , its like having the worst toothache you can get but right in the joint of your hip
I seem to get it during the later part of the day it is so painful, and because its so deep nothing gets to it to relieve it. sometimes its so bad that i wanr to be put on a traction machine and have my legs stretched as far as they will go. I dont know if this is similar to restless leg syndrome, what i do know is that it is really dibilitating. I do have problems with my back so it could be to do with that , who knows. i would be really interested if anyone else gets this , and what , if anything i can do to relieve it

spinxxxx
spindell40
UKFM Member

Re: hip pain

Postby dollydaydream » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Oh oh oh oh me me me me me!

In agony all of the time. Physio says that tight muscles from Fibro, combined with a dysfunctional symphysis pubis some 12 years ago is the problem. The pain causes my muscles to be very tight in my thighs and this is pulling my kneecaps out of tracking, which is pure hell.

Hurty hurty hurty at the moment - need a hug! :needhug:
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:25 pm

I get a lot of hip pain, the right one is by far the worse one. Feels like it's on fire and throbs as if there is a heartbeat in the middle of it. Comes on at the worst time possible, happened today while I was out walking the dog, was virtually crawling by the time I got home, I just wanted something that I could inject into the middle of the joint to freeze and numb it, anything to stop the hurting :cry: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy

Postby groovy_chick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:48 pm

spindell40 wrote:hi all

Does anyone get intense deep hip pain, the only way i can discribe it is this , its like having the worst toothache you can get but right in the joint of your hip
I seem to get it during the later part of the day it is so painful, and because its so deep nothing gets to it to relieve it. sometimes its so bad that i wanr to be put on a traction machine and have my legs stretched as far as they will go. I dont know if this is similar to restless leg syndrome, what i do know is that it is really dibilitating. I do have problems with my back so it could be to do with that , who knows. i would be really interested if anyone else gets this , and what , if anything i can do to relieve it

spinxxxx

Absolutely 100% YES unfortunately :cry: anf it's a hideous pain too. In fact that's how my problems started with that sort of pain in my legs :( and I found it very difficult to explain (and I am a health professional myself)to doc/physio what it was like cause all I could think of was if they offered me limb amputation on the spot I would have said YES PLEASE. Sorry if that is bit too drastic/graphic but that's how bad the pain sometimes is :oops: .
Just like you I couldn't find any painkillers that worked on that sort of pain either. Been round the medical system twice with no results :evil: other than am on pregabalin now and had spinal mri. I know that my lumbar xray showed that I have congenital spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis on L5/S1 but it's only minor and pain clinic were adamant that was NOT the cause of my pain although they didn't actually know what the cause of my pain was :evil: :dunno: And they can't explain how come the pain has now spread to upper back/arms :?: They think it's neuropathic type pain and could be originating from my spine :? . I find sometimes heatpack works on this other times not, found TENS machine actually aggravated this which made me think maybe the TENS pads were on trigger areas and it was MPD???? To cut the long and waffly story short I paid to see a private podiatrist, out of sheer desperation, who did my gait analysis and it was found out that my gait is out of sync and one of my feet is slightly turned more inwards (congenital thing again!)and I walk on the outer edges of my feet more and also get lot of shin pain and pain around the ligaments in my ankle areas. He said my hips/knees and ankles were too mobile which was putting too much strain on the muscles around the joints hence some of the pain. I could be having back/arm/shoulder/neck pain because of my dodgy posture and imbalance :shock:
So he made me some orthotics I now need to wear inside my shoes to try and retrain my postural imbalance. He said it could well answer some of my pain but he wasn't promising miracles :dunno: so I thought this was the most sense I have heard over the past 2 years so far so I will go with it and give it a try.
So I dunno if that's any help to you but at least you know you are not alone :hugs:
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby spindell40 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 pm

elo all

thanks for all your replies, its nice to know im not loosing the plot completly :crazy: . its interesting i put the tens machine on my hip the other night and it nearly took me thro the roof. it is a really horrible thing and i can quite understand the feeling of wanting to do anything to get rid of the pain, as if everything else wasn't enough :banghead: but it does help to know that im not the only one who gets this thanks
Spinxxxxxxxxxx
spindell40
UKFM Member

Postby cariad » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:06 pm

I get the same pain but its across the band where your bra lies. I have porblems wearing one at all. The only relief I have found is to lie on a flat surface i.e. bed without pillows and over a period of 30/40 minutes it does ease it. But it always comes back. I dont know if this techniquewould work with hip pain. :hugs:
cariad
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:29 pm

I get it too, I had presumed it was the start of OA as I have that elsewhere but I suppose it could be down to FM :roll:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby winterguardmumma » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Hello all,

Oh yes, this has been my biggest pain (excuse the pun) :) About 7 years ago i had hip resurfacing on my right hip due to perthes disease as a child. I began to get pain in my left hip afterwards which my consultant said was due to the way i was walking now compared to how i had done, my left leg had compensated for the right for so long. This pain has continued over the years and is now unbearable! As soon as i start walking i get this pain which is continous until i stop. When i was diagnosed with RA 18 months ago, my rheumy said that it was down to me having flat feet and hypermobility which caused the pain and i was given insoles to wear in my shoes. Well they didn't help and ripped my boots to peices instead! :x

No i have been diagnosed with fibro, i'm thinking that this is the cause of it...regardless it is agony and prevents me from going out and getting the exercise i desperately need but cant do. :cry: :banghead:
winterguardmumma
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Me too, just had x-rays done to see if my OA had spread to my hip but it came back clear so I'm back to the gp next week to see what else they suggest. It hurts to lie on my side so can only sleep on my back. I get bad pain inside the joint and a burning sensation on the skin as well.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby mischief » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Yes!!!!!!!!!
The person who spoke about an "on the spot amputation..." I totally agree :( :(
I feel like I want to take the ball out of its socket, bathe it in warm, soapy water and smother it in soothing cream before putting it back.
Today has not been a good day........ :cry:
mischief
UKFM Member

Postby fairy dust » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:42 am

THANK GOD im not the only one (and im meaning this in a nice relief way)
groovy_chick = it was like reading about myself, i was also told i have hypermobility, and treated with physio,inserts in my shoes as my 'core' is'nt straight,thus putting my ankles,knees and back out of line,
and yes i agree sometimes id rather have no legs at all than the pain i get in my hips and lower back,each step i take kills my hips and when standing,even for a couple of mins sends 'electrical'burning pains through them and my back, i was told that my problem started when i was 1st pregnant with my son ( hes 8 now) as they said i had spd-super pubis disfunction,this got worse with each baby afterwards(only 2 more) on my 3rd i was literlly wheelchair bound with the pain and unable to walk!! the docs all said after birth i would get better,but since then ive been getting worse each and everyday,i wake up wondering how much pain is today gonna bring?

sorry for rambling,but i can identify with you all on the hip + back side of this topic and its hell, so big :grouphug: to you all xxx
please bear with me - my brain works fine its the body that lets me down !
fairy dust
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 am

I used to get this a lot as my hypermobile hips and hyperlordosis (lower back problem) cause a lot of myofascial trigger points in this area. Thankfully, regular MFR, stretching and exercise keeps it under control now.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby petlover » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:39 pm

I always describe my hip pain to people as toothache in my hip. It's pretty unbearable, is constant and I wake up in agony if I lie on it. I asked my rheumy what it was, and he said it was bursitis. The bursa is a sac filled with fluid between the joints of the hip, and its a problem of some sort with this. I'd say infection, but my son had bursitis of the knee, and because the fluid got infected, he ended up in hospital seriously ill on intravenous antibiotics and steroids. But anyway, I had a cortisone injection in my hip a few weeks ago, and it is feeling slightly better. So maybe that's something you could ask your doctor or your rheumy about. I still have loads of pain, but it's not so deep and dragging. :)
petlover
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:52 am

yes yes yes. i certainly do. it is worse around my period. however my physio says i am very tightened in muscle around my hip and thigh area. and have lower movenet around my hips. i also have a pelvis that is tilted wrong. if i get it really bad i cant get up stairs or walk
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby tireesix » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:28 pm

I have had this since I was a child. I had a load of xrays that showed nothing so everyone decided I was depressed and that was what was causing it. I still have it now and its awful.
:roll: Idiot Docs.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems