Does anybody take amitriptyline and gabapentin together?

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

Does anybody take amitriptyline and gabapentin together?

Postby BellaH » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi everyone, I posted on here a few days ago asking about amitriptyline causing me heart palpitations and decided to go back to the dr who told me to reduce the dose of amitriptyline from 50mg to 25mg and also prescribed me gabapentin - sorry if I've spelt this wrong. Just wondering if anyone takes these two meds together and how it's been for you. I'm not overly happy being on amitriptyline because of the heart palps so starting taking another med on top actually scares me! X
BellaH
UKFM Member

Re: Does anybody take amitriptyline and gabapentin together?

Postby zaralala » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:50 pm

I have stopped taking the Amitriptyline of my own accord I dont think it does any good at all.
zaralala
UKFM Member

Postby jackapple » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:51 pm

i take gabapentin 600mg 3x a day and i take 10 or 20 mg of amitriptaline and yes i find they do work together for me but everyone is different on their tablets i have been better since the gabapentin was upped to 600mg
hope this helps
jackapple
UKFM Newbie

Postby Fizzyb » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Hello,
I take both of them plus other meds and have had no probs on both that I can recall and hopefully I won't get any either, Lol.
I guess it just depends if you can tolerate certain drugs and if they help. You probably know but don't just suddenly stop taking them as it can be dodgy. Just see how you feel after a few weeks. I must admit I am allowed one more dose higher on the Gabapentin and it seems to be slowly working.

Hope this helps.
Take Care.
Fizzyb
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:59 pm

I know it's down to the individual, but to stop taking a med without help/advice from a GP/other suitably qualified healthcare person can cause additional problems, some of which could be worse than what may have already been experienced.

If you're not sure about the meds combo Bella, the best thing to do is speak to someone who can advise you accordingly. Whilst a pharmacist will be able to provide general advice about whether meds are OK to take together, your GP is the best one to say if this this particular combo is suitable for you.

The Gabapentin need time to get into your system, this can be anything from 1 to 3~4 months, so you are unlikely to feel any immediate benefit from them. The dosage tends to be increased gradually as well, to a level suitable for you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy

Postby jennie g » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Hiya,

I take amitriptyline 50mg and duloxetine 60mg every day and they seem to work together.

Take care. x
jennie g
UKFM Newbie

Postby babajane32 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi had these with both gabapentin and pregablin, neither of which suited me. I get the palpitations from amytriptaline, but have had an ecg and monitor etc whislt having the palpatations and the palpatations are not related to my heart in any way..still dont likethe feeling of them,but at least now i know it's just a feeling rather than something affecting the heart
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby sallzz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi I've been taking 100mg Amitriptyline for years and when I first started taking Pregabalin I was getting heart palpitations. I've found I don't get them if i take the pregabalin an hour or so before the ami. :-)
sallzz
UKFM Member

Postby BellaH » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks for your kind replies. I haven't started taking the gabapentin yet I still have the prescription at home. I've lowered the dose of amitriptyline to 25mg and although the heart palps have stopped my body is really aching so tonight I've taken 50mg again. Think up contact my go I the morning and tell him that I want my 35mgs back again. I've also taken my amitriptyline earlier tonight at 8pm because I do wonder if the heart palps start because I take them just before bed?? X
BellaH
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication