Tramadol, Lyrica and Nortriptyline

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

Postby lisaward127 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:40 pm

I didn't realize that there is a dangerous interaction between these medications, this is also the same for Amatriptiline, There are people on the forum that seem to take the medication together. Is this because of the dose that they use? I am back at the GP on Friday and wanted to ask if I can go back onto Tramadol but I just read up about it and it seems that you should not take these medications together. I don't get any benefit from Nortriptyline and want to go back on a SSRI medication. :shock:
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Re: Tramadol, Savela and Nortriptyline

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Looking at this linky http://www.drugs.com/savella.html it says
What other drugs will affect Savella?

Before using Savella, tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, sedatives, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by Savella.

Ask your doctor before taking any medicine for pain, arthritis, fever, or swelling. This includes aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), diclofenac (Voltaren), indomethacin, piroxicam (Feldene), nabumetone (Relafen), etodolac (Lodine), and others. Taking any of these drugs with Savella may cause you to bruise or bleed easily.
Tell your doctor about all other medications you use, especially:
a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin);
clonidine (Catapres, Clorpres);
a diuretic (water pill);
digoxin (digitalis, Lanoxin);
epinephrine (Epi-Pen);
lithium (Lithobid, Eskalith);
tramadol (Ultram);
tryptophan (sometimes called L-tryptophan);
medicine to treat a psychiatric disorder;
medicines to treat Parkinson's disease, restless leg syndrome, or pituitary gland tumor (prolactinoma);
migraine headache medicine such as almotriptan (Axert), frovatriptan (Frova), naratriptan (Amerge), rizatriptan (Maxalt), sumatriptan (Imitrex, Treximet), or zolmitriptan (Zomig); or
an antidepressant such as citalopram (Celexa), duloxetine (Cymbalta), desvenlafaxine (Pristiq), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem, Symbyax), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), or venlafaxine (Effexor).

This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with Savella. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.

From what I've read on it, it says there may be possible interactions and that you should tell your GP about anything else being taken incl OTC meds etc. And it's a similar thing in this linky as well http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide ... ent?page=2

Savella/milnacipran, altho mentioned occasionally on here, doesn't seem to be as widely prescribed as other similar meds such as duloxetine. That said, knowing about potential interactions with other meds being taken is always helpful. Any potential interactions tend to be flagged up when a med is added to a list of the ingredients for a patients cocktail, giving the prescribing doctor prompts to talk about them with their patient. Plus we can always ask about such things.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy

Re: Tramadol, Lyrica and Nortriptyline

Postby lisaward127 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Thank you hun, I have seen a couple of websites with information, it is always good to check with the chemist as well, I nearly made a mistake the other day when I was in really bad pain, I kept a box of Tramadol from few months ago and thought I will just have two tablets to help with the pain, Thankfully I thought about the interactions and spoke to the chemist ans he advised me against it.

Will check with my GP on Friday as the Gabapentin no longer help me at all. :-)
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby SuperCat007 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi, I just thought I'd post here. I was on Tramadol in 2011 and one very wise (?!) doctor said I needed to take amitryptylene (SP?) because I had fibro and it would help. I told him I'd tried it previously and it did nothing, but he insisted and said 'what harm can it do?'. I asked about the interaction with the tramadol because you are NOT meant to take opiates and SSRI's because potentially they have the same, or a similar, effect of the brain. The doctor said it wouldn't be a problem, but it REALLY, REALLY was, it took 2 days for me to be at the point where I was feeling so down and lacking any energy or anything that I couldn't move from bed.

Be REALLY careful. I know some people can take both, but the side effects are awful if you do experience an interaction. Good luck though, I hope you can find a solution.
SuperCat007
UKFM Member

Postby lisaward127 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank you SuperCat, This is why I want to go to my GP prepared, I want to be helped but don't want to cause myself more problems. The Gp I am seeing at the moment are good with medication so I am sure she will come up with a solution. :-D
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:47 pm

its at times like this I miss my privatly owned local chemist...He was really good at keeping you on the right side of drug interactions and what you had just been prescribed or had been taking for a while . Was even good at remembering what meds you couldn't take !

He sold up to one of the multi nationals and while I know thier staff are equally well qualified because they seem to go from shop to shop they don't get to know thier customers as well to provide that gold plated service. Saying that I would always ask a chemist about a particular drug as well as a GP as they will know more about side effects etc.

Hope you don't get any side effects and are feeling better soon.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby lisaward127 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:07 pm

My GP have put me on Lyrica 150mg morning and 75 in the evening, I also take 20 mg of Citalopram a day. As I am in a really bad flare up she also gave me some Diazapam 5 mg twice a day for 6 days. I feel a bit spaced out this morning, back to bed after breakfast. The cold weather is not helping and the central heating is on full blast.

Gentle hugs to you all

Lisa xxx
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication