When Tramadol doesn't work???

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

When Tramadol doesn't work???

Postby sdiff » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi guys

I have been on Tramadol for a week now and find it doesn't stop the pain can anyone sugest anything that works better, I'm going crazy with the pain, I find standing for more than a minute almost impossible.

Any suggestions PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Sheila
sdiff
UKFM Member

Re: When Tramadol doesn't work???

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi

Have a read here http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fi ... fects.html

Also have a look at the medication board for some ideas and maybe ask for a referal to the pain clinic
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa x
*Lisa*

Postby miajane » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi Shelia,
Sorry to hear your in a lot of pain at mo. I can't really help you as I'm also on tramadol, it wasn't working for me either and my Dr upped the dose. I'm now taking upto 2 100mg tablets twice a day. Though it doesn't get rid of the pain completely it seems to make it easier to deal with.

I find it gives me a strange feeling of being disconnected from everything, the pains are still there but it doesn't bother me so much anymore. This sensation is not pleasant but so far it's been the only pain relief that actually makes any difference so I don't really want to change it at mo.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mia xx
'Needles on your nerve ends crawl like spiders on the skin' - Enemy within by Rush
miajane
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi
I also found that Tramadol was not enough on its on.
I have tried many meds, some will suit you others might not.
I take amitript for pain and relrelaxation

oxycontin slow release, i find they work for my pain, i added 5mg until i found a level that suited me, i am now on 30mg.
if you have a look around the treatment thread you will see some posts up saying what meds we are on.
You could write a few down and have a chat with you GP, to find one suited to you.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq

Postby mrsmoomoo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:34 am

Hi Sheila

i am also on Tramadol and take 2 tablets at a time and the doc says i can have up to 8 a day with 4 hour gaps when the pain is really bad and i also have liquid morphine which i take only when i'm climbing the walls, lastly i too take amitryptine at night. This combo does work for me but i do hate taking the lot when i'm really bad because of the side effects.
Go back to the docs and tell him you're not coping and i'm sure there are alternatives for you,

good luck Sheila and take care :hugs: (gentle)
mrsmoomoo
UKFM Member

Postby Chelsea » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:28 pm

I too was on Tramadol for quite some time - 8 tablets a day (2 x 4 times a day) combined with Co-codomol 8 tablets a day and Diazepam 3 times a day (to help with the spasms). I didn't find the Tramadol worked either but it did turn me into somewhat of a space cadet. I couldn't really function (at the time I couldn't walk and was housebound with a zimmer frame for ages).

The problem with these painkillers is that they 'deaden' the nerves, supposedly stopping the pain. But as a result instead of dealing with the problem, you create more nerve endings therefore the need to increase the dose of painkillers or add another one to the mix.

When I saw the President of the British Orthoaedics Association, he was appalled at the drugs I was taking - in the end they cause more harm than good and suggested I stop - cold turkey. I was very concerned about 'just stopping' and asked if a gradual decrease would be better. He said No. So I took Professor Clarke's advice and just stopped. After 3 days I started to feel more normal and now I accept the fact I am always going to experience a little bit of pain.

However, I do use DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) to help with the pain - the D helps the pain and the L helps the mood. However, I have heard that those who just want to use it for pain the D-phenylalanine is more effective). These are to be taken on an empty stomach ie first thing in the morning and mid-late afternoon. However if you suffer from high blood pressure it is not recommended you use DLPA

This may be of interest to some of you, just thought I'd share with you what I have found to help with pain.
:wave:
Take care

Chelsea
LDNNow.com
Chelsea
UKFM Member

Postby ewen2693 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi I have been advised to take the slow release Tramadol morning and night and use the 50 mg ordinary capsules for breakthrough pain. I have to say though that at night when I am always more sore the slow release isn't sufficient on its own! I haven't tried adding the 50's in for breakthrough pain as yet as it can make me itch increasing the dose!
ewen2693
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication