Fluoxetine (Prozac)

All your questions and experiences of medication and treatments on the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

Fluoxetine (Prozac)

Postby Bubsy70 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:01 pm

I have been to see the rheumatologist today who said from my symptoms it does sound like i have Fibromyalgia (only waited 2 and a half years to hear this), but said something else on my blood tests showed reason for concern, (something to do with proteins in my blood), and asked for me to have some more bloods taken to see what the levels are like now. He gave me a prescription letter to take to my gp and has prescribed me Fluoxetine and wrote on it Depression/Fibromyalgia.

After looking up the name of this drug i'm not impressed to discover he's prescribed me Prozac, as i'm certainly not depressed, knackered yes but not depressed. I have been given Amitryptiline in the past to help me sleep but the hangover feeling on waking up was terrible. He said he didnt want to give me that again but wanted me to take Prozac for a month and see how i go. He's prescribed 20mg daily at night time, has anyone else been given Prozac to help the Fibromyalgia as i am very weary about taking it due to bad reports it has had in the past.
Bubsy70
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fluoxetine (Prozac)

Postby loubie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm

hi :wave:
talk about it with your GP.
if is only for a month it might be worth trying, as you just mite
feel a little better :dunno:
i don't look at the leaflet or look up any of my meds as this would
make me a little :yikes: about taking them.
i just take them and if i feel ruff i give them a bit of time
as they can calm down, if they don't then i will come off them.

anything is worth a try :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie

Postby fionarodriguez » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

HI
i have been on them fluoxetine, im on 40mg a day, ever since last year , i must say that since being on them i have felt better still have aches and pains but i do sleep now as b4 i went on them i was sleeping about a hour each night, then i would drop of to sleep when talking to someone, but since i have been on them im sleeping, also im on 100mg amitripyline ...tramadol 800mg a day.....paracetamol 500mg x2 x four times a day.
apart from FM i have 3 dicses pushing in lower part of back and burtis on the hips.... keep telling my husband to have me put down...lol
fionarodriguez
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi
I am on flux and Ami`s, i take my flux in the mornings, i take 40mg, i have never had any problems with them, you should give them a go as everyone is different, you dont know how you will react to them until you take them.

You will find all meds have side effects and many fibro sufferers are sensitive to meds but you should not let that put you off trying them. :hugs:
Alot of meds can take up to 4 weeks before they kick in. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq

Postby Bubsy70 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks all for your replies, i pick them up tomorrow hopefully and after reading your replies think i will give them a try. It was just the "prozac" bit as a few years ago there was a lot of bad press about them and what people had done whilst taking them.

I suppose so long as I get a good nights sleep anything is worth a try :wink:
Bubsy70
UKFM Newbie

Postby budda » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:53 am

Hi ,Bubsy, i tried Prozac 20years ago, it did not agree with ME, had very bad side effects, (bad dreams felt like a zombie) but i had watched a programe on TV, and the lady said that Prozac had saved her life, everyone is different with meds, :goodluck1: hope it workes for you. :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby thewireweaver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Im on a low dose of prozac, when the dose was higher (2 per day) I felt like a zombie, now I just feel like I don't react hugely to things on an emotional level and things hardly ever make me cry - I'm supposed to be on one per day but most days I forget so it's more like half per day.

To be honest I think it was the best thing they could have put me on, it's helped me get through a very difficult part of my life, I could have done with it the first time life got difficult too! Put it this way, my darling dog of 15 died when I was on 1 per day and I think it's what got me through that (that wasn't the difficult life thing btw, just happened at the same time). Marvelous drug imo, but doesn't agree with everyone
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Hypermobility on 14/03/11 by Rheumatologist.
Obsessed with jewellery making!
thewireweaver
UKFM Member

Postby Julie. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Bubsy, :wave:
Please give them ago as i have been taking 20mg each morning now for 10 years for my FM. I am not depressed but used to feel extremely down with being on constant pain 24/7. They are now well documented for the pain of FM.
My Rheumatoligist put me on them as i tried everything else and reacted badly to them so these saved my life and my sanity.
I
I was like you. Under no circumstances was i going to take anti-depressants but i gave in as by then i was at rock bottom.

Within 3 or 4 weeks it was my family that noticed a change in me and my pain levels started to decrease. I also felt like living again.

I hadn't slept properly either for about 2 years and after a while started sleeping through the night and have not looked back since.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on with them.
I am not saying you won't have side-effects the first couple of weeks as you probably will. Mine was feeling nauseous but it wore off.
Hope this helps a little. :) :) :) :goodluck1:
Take one day at a time. Tomorrow will wait.
Julie.
UKFM Member

Return to Treatments & Medication