Important information for people claiming ESA

Moderators: *Lisa*, shazq, denys, loubie, helen virgo, FluppyPuffy, janham

Important information for people claiming ESA

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:39 pm

This linky WCA Handbook 2011 Regulations http://issuu.com/atosvictims/docs/wca_h ... regulation

Is an important document you will need to look through! 180 odd pages :facepalm: but it will really help with claims and medicals

It shows you how ATOS asses you, what questions they ask in regards to your limited capibilities and also what tricks they use and how they observe you.

I have browsed through and i must say i am appalled by alot of what i read no wonder why people are not getting thro.

In one bit it said that *if a person has had a trauma and become blind, we will put a time limit of 18months before we suggest they be fit for work* :yikes: reason given... *In 18months they would have had enough time to adapt to there loss of sight therefore we feel they may be fit for work* :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Lots of info on how they do there examinations & why. Its a must read!!!!

Heres a few others also to help you.

Employment & support allowance Limited capability for work & work related Activity Descriptors

http://issuu.com/atosvictims/docs/2011d ... e=magazine

&

Atos Computer Programme Manual (LIMA)

http://issuu.com/atosvictims/docs/lima- ... e=magazine
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa x
*Lisa*

Re: Important information for people claiming ESA

Postby denys » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks Lisa helpful for all of us whether going through now or in the future :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys

Postby diane1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Well Done Lisa on finding this.

It is the same as the one used by decision makers but the one they use have the points to be awarded at the side of each descriptor. Its not a nice read but as you say is an eyeopener and really useful if you read it before a medical. This is just the official guide as well !!!

That is why i'm so sceptical about the new PIP its the extras that pave the way not the official guide !

I think they think were stupid and dont know what their up to. We might have fibro fog but stupid we are not. :crazy: :roll: :crazy:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:58 pm

In one bit it said that *if a person has had a trauma and become blind, we will put a time limit of 18months before we suggest they be fit for work* reason given... *In 18months they would have had enough time to adapt to there loss of sight therefore we feel they may be fit for work*

This made me laugh (not in a good way I hasten to add). My Grandfather's been blind for almost 40 years now. He's still not adapted.

He used to work as a Mason in a Quarry. Oddly enough - when he lost his eyesight the Quarry wouldn't allow him to operate heavy machinery to dig out stone with. Such a shame they didn't have ATOS back then to say he'd be fine in 18 months...
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Ria » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for posting the info, I just had a quick look. I cant believe i've been put in the work related esa group cos i cant even leave my home when alone even tho i'm on anti-anxiety tablets cos cant handle going shopping anymore or going to the park with my daughter unless someone else is with us. I always have a friend with me cos 9 times out of 10 i have to use my wheelchair now. I also have seizures cos the pain i suffer now is unbearable & i made sure thed lady knew at the medical cos i dont always know when i'm about to have them, my mate also explained how bad i am. also now trying to claim dla cod been advised to, my dr said he couldnt believe how bad i've got in the 4 months since i saw him cos usually have to see a different dr cos cant get an appointment with him
Ria
UKFM Newbie

Postby sailor-ichigo » Fri May 04, 2012 4:49 pm

ive been informed after an assessment in feb that i can get ESA for 1year only. after that i will be moved onto some other benefit- 'which will have some advantages like free prescriptions' -jesus. i could do with that now, seeing as i have a long term medical issue! £120/year for a prepayment certificate would be better saved. why dont we get free prescriptions as opposed to chavs who need them to get free cold medicine and morning after pills? ridiculous.
ive never applied for DLA because i have fab parents who do most things for me, but i do wonder if i could have recieved this? i dont really need any adaptations to my home though, and if i cant do somethings because i feel ill, i just dont....

job centre will be contacting me too to see if 'theres anything they can do to help me' i.e. shove me back in to work!

anyone else had a reassessment recently?

pain in the arse. sorry to rant, the ESA seems to be driving a lot of people nuts. :(
Charlotte x
sailor-ichigo
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Well folks all I can say is wait till the Universal benefit comes into play. All benefits under one name with a grading system. I have a person in the know who is heavily involved with these initial stages how it will work and the law etc and its going to be fun and games again.

Oh well what did we expect !

:!: :?: :-? :-x :roll:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 04, 2012 6:19 pm

diane1 wrote:Well folks all I can say is wait till the Universal benefit comes into play. All benefits under one name with a grading system. I have a person in the know who is heavily involved with these initial stages how it will work and the law etc and its going to be fun and games again.

Oh well what did we expect !

:!: :?: :-? :-x :roll:

Yep iv been doing as much investigating in this as i can...

Be great diane if you could keep us up to date with the new system :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa x
*Lisa*

Postby TeeferTiger » Tue May 08, 2012 5:24 pm

sailor-ichigo wrote:ive been informed after an assessment in feb that i can get ESA for 1year only. after that i will be moved onto some other benefit- 'which will have some advantages like free prescriptions' -jesus. i could do with that now, seeing as i have a long term medical issue! £120/year for a prepayment certificate would be better saved. why dont we get free prescriptions as opposed to chavs who need them to get free cold medicine and morning after pills? ridiculous.
ive never applied for DLA because i have fab parents who do most things for me, but i do wonder if i could have recieved this? i dont really need any adaptations to my home though, and if i cant do somethings because i feel ill, i just dont....

job centre will be contacting me too to see if 'theres anything they can do to help me' i.e. shove me back in to work!

pain in the arse. sorry to rant, the ESA seems to be driving a lot of people nuts. :(

I get free prescriptions, and I didn't even have to be a chav to get it ;-) I live in Wales :-)

You can appeal their decision and ask to be placed into the support group (as I have). It took 9 months from the medical where I was declared fit for work to get to the tribunal where they awarded me enough points and then was put into the WRAG. 2 days later I got a letter telling me that as I'd had the benefit for 365 days, it would stop in 5 weeks. Thanks, DWP! Most helpful...
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby Saffi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 pm

I have a MED 3 form from my GP which says: 'I am unfit for any kind of work' - took me a phone call, I also have a consultant who agrees and brings the cavalry to govt depts like the Blue Badge when the assessment claims I am not entitled. Surely, they cant argue with doctors?
the internet is a lot like Ancient Egypt... people writing on walls and worshipping cats
Saffi
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:18 am

Saffi wrote:I have a MED 3 form from my GP which says: 'I am unfit for any kind of work' - took me a phone call, I also have a consultant who agrees and brings the cavalry to govt depts like the Blue Badge when the assessment claims I am not entitled. Surely, they cant argue with doctors?

Thats the reason why they have changed the system so its not up to the doctors whether you are deemed fit for work or not as it used to be. The whole change is to take the decision out of the doctors hands into there hands by bringing in the castapo.. umm ATOS with there medicaly trained **coughs** professionals :evil: who are sooooo fantastic that just spending one hour with you they know whether or not you have capability for work!! :nono:
*Lisa*

Postby millymoodoo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:50 am

Hi Lisa

Many thanks for the link makes interesting reading!!! Now i understand why they placed me into the support group nearly 4 years ago following a letter from my gp!!! I havn't heard anything from them since so i havn't a clue when my next assessment will be as there was no indication on the letter i recieved from them initially advising me they were placing me in the support group. I dread the post coming each day waiting for that big brown official looking envelope to drop onto the doormat!!! I am secretly hoping that they have forgotten about me but i guess i wouldnt be that lucky. Are the descripters the same for the new PIP that is being implemented? I have severe crohns disease amongst other things but it seems the bowel incontinance that i suffer with is what has got me into the support group. It made me chuckle when i read it had to happen at least once a week, gosh i wish mine was as good as that, i could cope with it if its only once a week, mine is more like 4 times upwards a day!!! I am under the incontinance clinic but due to costs are only able to supply me with a maximum of 3 pads a day!!! It is better than nothing but some days that doesnt even scratch the surface!!!

Any information on the new PIP would be extremly helpful as the added stress increases the problems that we already have.

:grouphug: United we stand!!!!! Well on a good day lol!!!

Milly xxx :-D
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 pm

sailor-ichigo wrote:ive been informed after an assessment in feb that i can get ESA for 1year only. after that i will be moved onto some other benefit- 'which will have some advantages like free prescriptions' -jesus. i could do with that now, seeing as i have a long term medical issue! £120/year for a prepayment certificate would be better saved. why dont we get free prescriptions as opposed to chavs who need them to get free cold medicine and morning after pills? ridiculous.

Hi Charlotte

Are you sure that you dont qualify for free prescriptions? The reason i ask is that if you are recieving ESA i believed that you would be exempt, actually i have just checked the back of the prescription and if you are on income based ESA you would be exempt but not in you are on contribution based. But you may be entitled to claim it if you are on a low income, there is a form to fill out and if successful you would recieve a HC2 certificate which would give you full help with prescriptions, dentist, travel to hospital appointments, opticians and nhs glasses or a voucher towards them and a few other things. If you cant get full help you may be entitled to help with costs where you only pay part of them. You have nothing to lose if they say no but there is a lot to gain as prescriptions a month it was too expensive, i just couldnt afford them all, i am still to this day on the same number of prescriptions (i take 72 tablets a day quite scarey really). Before i was diagnosed with diabetes i wasnt aware of the pre payment certificate and as i am on 36 different drugs it was very costly and i would look down my list to see what i may be able to manage without which was a desperate measure as i couldnt afford all of them. The pharmacist spoke to me in the end and told me about the prepayment certificate as he was concerned i wasnt getting all the drugs that i needed, but i thought as i was working i wouldnt get any help, how wrong i was!!! Now i am on income based ESA i get full help with prescriptions, dentist, opticians and travel to hospital which is really helpful.

Hope this may help you!!!
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Milly, i think there is some information on the forum in regards to the new PIP just put in PIP in search button top right and hopefully some will spring up.

I am always keeping an eye out for info. My main one atm is the new Universal Credit as i think this will be just as bad as the rest yet not much info has been put out yet and its due in Octo 2013.

All i know on that one is its monthly payements, you do the forms i think online and the money goes to the male of the house or only one of the people on the benefits if you joint claim. Its abolishing the premiums sending thousands of disabled into financial crises and god knows what else were in store for! Oh thats on top of us having to now pay for council tax and many people having to downsize there homes :roll:
*Lisa*

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Lisa

I wasnt aware that we would have to pay our own council tax!!! When is that effetive from? I really dont know what this is coming to it is scarey!!! I live in a 2 bedroom council bungalow and the only reason i was given a 2 bedroom is because i need my carer to sleep over on a frequent basis, its so wrong that we are being penalised for being disabled and needing the extra room!!! I love where i live its in a beautiful area and is so peaceful and quiet, all my neighbours are elderly so there is no noise or trouble.

millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits